Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oh give me a home where the Buffalo roam...

The event that changed my pond fishing experience was catching this little guy.  I had been fishing the Gardens pond for about a month and had progressed to the point of catching one or two channel catfish nearly every session.  They were fun to catch, weighed about a pound each, and provided the encouragement I needed to keep fishing in the oppressive heat.  This particular Sunday in mid-July I had fished for several hours with no success so I began to gather up my gear and head home.  When I started to reel in it felt like the line was tangled so I gave it a quick jerk to free it.  As my line suddenly started screaming off towards the other side of the pond I realized that I had hooked into a very serious fish.  Cranking my reel as fast as I could, I continued to hear the line being stripped out.  I added more drag and began to gain the upper hand on the situation.  It took about 10 minutes of heavy cranking but I finally pulled this beautiful fish onto the bank. 

I've been told by a couple of people that this is a Buffalo fish.....not actually a Carp, but share several similarities.  And without scales I can only estimate it's weight....maybe 5 - 6 lbs.   After this photo I released it back in the pond to continue growing and, maybe another day..... And while I had been targeting catfish I decided to "change my major" and pursue Carp and Buffalo fish. 

No comments: